Knit Meter

Friday, March 2, 2007

My Yarn Is Talking To Me

I've heard people say their yarn is talking to them and always thought that some wiring had come loose in their head; but now it is my turn to give my yarn anthropomorphic qualities. At a sale in the summer I bought some yarn which the owner of the store had recommended for socks. Atter seeing a pattern for a lacey wrap I decided that the yarn would look good in that pattern; which it did; except I didn't have enough yarn. The yarn is hand painted and I couldn't get anymore so the wrap was unpicked and the yarn rewound. Next iteration was My So Called Scarf. But the resulting pattern seemed very stiff; so that was unpicked before I had gone too far.

Now I know what you are saying. "If I liked the lacey wrap why not use the pattern for a regular scarf?" You know, some things in life are just too obvious. The next iteration was a scarf from Modular Knits. I didn't like that either. I think the yarn is not varied enough in colour to show some patterns well.

So another unpick and the yarn is sitting next to me waiting for me to choose a pattern that will show it off to its best. And it happened; I nearly spoke to the wretched stuff. But it was in my head. "You just want to be socks don't you. That's why none of these other patterns are working." So close to joining the crazies.

I haven't started socks yet. There might be a few more scarf varients in this yarn yet. Or maybe I'm just too stubborn to listen to inanimate objects when they talk to me.

No comments: