Knit Meter

Friday, April 15, 2016

A Binding Glitch

There's a saw that says "measure twice, cut once" and my situation wasn't as bad as that but definitely a case of check before you sew.

I have been (slowly) making a quilt and it is now ready for binding. A few weeks ago I made the binding which involved cutting the required number of strips sewing them into one length and then folding and pressing them in half. So this week I was ready to machine sew the strip to the quilt. I started with a large roll of fabric, of which, of course, I don't have a photo, and merrily started sewing. As the roll quickly got smaller I started to think there wasn't going to be enough and as I got closer to the end I wondered if I had ever checked the length of binding against the actual perimeter of the quilt.

I certainly hadn't checked before starting to sew and I ended up with more quilt than binding. But oh so close.



This wasn't a huge problem but as the quilt is queen size it is a bit unwieldy. I had plenty of fabric from which to cut another strip which I pressed in half before joining to the end already on the quilt. It was just a pain stitching the small seam and supporting the weight of the quilt. I managed it and finished the edge. Now it just needs to be hand sewn on the back. I am very excited about this quilt as it is a surprise gift, so no full photos yet.

No comments: