Knit Meter

Friday, August 9, 2019

I Ran A 5k

With getting behind with writing about my finished projects, I forgot what is probably the most important one – running an official 5K!

I had been running on a treadmill at a gym and completed the Coach-to-5k program when some out of town friends said they were going to run the half-marathon in the San Diego RocknRoll Marathon and did we want to take part. My husband suggested I sign up for the 5K. And I suggested it to my knitting buddy, who had just started the Coach-to-5k, and that was it - we were committed and we had a year to train/plan. As I had already completed the Coach-to-5k, I found another program, None to Run, just to change things up. My friend found a running group.

I completed the None to Run program just before a vacation and it was really hard to get back into running. I was on again/off again at the beginning of the year. But I had this big race coming up. Husband had a sensible suggestion – don’t worry about running for the times the programs say, run for distance even if you are doing the walk/run intervals. So that is what I did so I knew I could complete the distance in the time allotted.

The day of the race arrived – a very early start. I was nervous because I didn’t know what to expect but I knew I could do it. We started off running together but about half way through my friend wanted a walk break. I kept going because I was determined to run the whole thing. And I did! Looking back I could have run faster as I wasn’t exhausted when I crossed the finish line but I will know that for next time. (And I have signed up for next year.)

The sense of achievement is amazing and has definitely spurred me on to keep going.



(And the friends that originally started the whole thing were a no-show.

No comments: