Knit Meter

Friday, April 8, 2011

My Cowl is Versatile

I really liked the yarn I used for my husband's hat; it was so soft. I used approximately 25 grams of the white and it seemed a shame to not use the left overs for something else. I have been trying not to add to my stash by using every little bit of yarn but have rather failed with this endeavour with all the socks I have been knitting as I have been putting all the yarn (new and left overs) in the stash.

I decided to make myself a cowl. I had always considered cowls a nuisance and therefore a pointless garment. Putting them on over your head, taking them off, putting them on again was a recipe for messing up hair and getting lipstick on everything. Or so it seemed, as I had never actually worn a cowl.

But then I realised that a cowl will take a place of a scarf when you go out but won't be removing your coat - going for a walk or a quick shop for example. But going out for coffee you wear a scarf so that you can take it off.

I found a pattern available only on Ravelry so I cannot not link to it here. An easy knit with some lace interest.



And now for the versatility. It can be worn as a standard cowl; if I have my hair in a pony tail and can't wear a hat I can pull it up over my ears; and, best of all, I can wear it upside down on my head and be Queen for the day!

No comments: