Knit Meter

Monday, February 5, 2007

What a Mess

or this yarn will not get the better of me.

I have nearly finished my two projects so I decided that Saturday night was a good time to wind the yarn for my next project. Usually I can wind yarn and knit a gauge swatch while watching a movie. The chosen yarn was Anne by Schaeffer. Yarn bought in a sale in the summer and recommended for socks. The store was not winding while the sale was on but I could have gone back at a later date and had the yarn wound. Except I never did as I am one of those people who like to wind yarn just before I use it so it is not always convenient to return to a store. Plus I don't really mind winding yarn even though I don't have a swift nor a ball winder.

So Saturday night I untied the yarn put it over the back of a chair and thought it looked a bit crinkly but I brushed that thought aside as I wondered if maybe it had just been tied up for a while. After a few winds of the ball I was faced with this.



I have no idea what went wrong. This has never happened to me before. I didn't get a gauge swatch worked I didn't even finish winding it before bed time even though I watched a (the) hockey game after the movie.

Sunday morning I was back working on it aided by some buttermilk pancakes and coffee courtesy of the spousal unit. So by mid-morning it looked like this.



I was convincing myself that there was an improvement. But I was in a quandry. If you recall I wanted to finish my black sweater while the Super Bowl was on but I also wanted this mess finished with. Should I go with the mess and hope to finish it before the end of the game or should I go with the sweater and then return to the mess. Decisions, decisions. Plus how could I eat Super Bowl food and work with this?

I decided to continue with the mess. As much as I wanted to finish some things. I couldn't bear the thought of having that sitting around for another day.

After watching the Super Bowl and Miss Marple, I finally had this



It needs to be wound again as I gave up worrying how it was wound when the bigger issue was getting it wound at all. But it is done.

No comments: