Knit Meter

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

A Couple of Finished Items

Although I’ve been rather quiet over here, I have been knitting away. Life has been a bit hectic. Usually I have both grandchildren every other week, but I wanted some one-on-one time with each child so I have had three weeks of child care. I took advantage of working various crafts with my granddaughter. I really wanted to teach her how to sew but she was rather nervous so I left that project to last. First there was looms and Lego and baking.

We had prepared at the beginning of the week by purchasing a pattern and fabric for PJs. Once she started sewing, she loved it and when the PJ bottoms were finished, she was going through my fabric stash and sewing pieces together to make bags.

The items I finished were a sewn dress and a knitted cowl. The dress was the one mentioned in my last post.

The fabric and pattern have been sitting for two years. I had been putting off making it because I was worried about what size to make, I think this was also a subconscious thought of being unhappy with my body. (This is entirely my own thoughts and nothing to do with anyone else.) Having lost some weight last year I decided to just go for it and am pleased with the outcome although having made two dresses with the same pattern I am likely to make some minor changes next time. And, yes, there will be a next time as I purchased some fabric when we went shopping for PJ fabric.

The knitted cowl I finished is not really a cowl but one of those drapey items that sit on my shoulders. They’re not a shawl or a poncho so I don’t know what to call them but they mostly come under the cowl name. Having finished the large pink shawl I needed an easy project and this fit the bill. I can’t remember how I came across this pattern – Across the Waters – but it seemed perfect for yarn that I had had in my stash since 2017 and was waiting for that perfect pattern. The yarn is Astoria Berries from Candy Skein and the stripes are left over from this project. I did swatch and used 4mm needles which I have used for this type of garment and yarn previously but I think I could have used 3.75mm as stated in the pattern.

As is often the case, although these items were finished a little while ago it took time for photos to be taken. In the end I settled for selfies so that I could get this blog post written.