When I posted all my WIPs in September I didn’t mention that I wanted to frog three projects. One was a no brainer as it was a baby item that was too small. The other two were projects where I liked the yarn but not the finished items but I did not want to frog until I had made a decision about what I would make with the reclaimed yarn. And to that extent one project is going to remain as an unworn sweater.
One project I was unhappy with was the wrap I made from my Advent yarn in 2019/2020. In my effort to use all the yarn I had ended up with something that I would never wear but if I was going to make something else with the yarn, I still wanted something where I would use most of the yarn. At the end of November I came across a newly published crochet pattern that used a mini set to create a blanket. Bonus, the pattern was free until 1 December. Although I can’t really call it a bonus as it was pretty obvious that the pattern hadn’t been test crocheted. I came across an error very early on and decided to put a note on my project page about it. I was contacted by someone else about it and the maker went on to contact the designer who confirmed the error. The designer put an errata on the pattern page but did not contact any of the prior purchasers of the pattern, which is easy to do with a global email. I feel like the early makers were the test crocheters without knowing that’s what they were. And I’m glad I didn’t pay for the pattern. It is really easy to get test makers but I am guessing the designer wanted to get this pattern out before December and people started to receive their Advents/Countdown yarns.
One of the reasons I had put off frogging the original project was keeping track of the individual yarns and keeping them in order. When I decided to go ahead with this pattern, I literally just worked from the bind off, also as it is crochet I was able to work a colour per day. (OK, some days I was working catch up but I was never more than a day behind and did finish the main part on 24 December.
The pattern is made with 24 mini-skeins plus a yarn for a border. It wasn’t until I got to Day 24 that I realized that my set had 25 minis. So I decided to use the last one for the border. The border is two rows but I got just one row from a mini so I left it at that as I couldn’t find anything in my stash that worked well.
Yes, I am pleased with the end result. Although it is another blanket. It can be folded in half to make a triangular shawl if I want to wear it that way.