I was not going to make a small item in March as I had a big cast on planned for later in the month. The categories in Sock Knitters Anonymous did not immediately shout out a pattern and/or yarn so I did not investigate that any further, but when the beginning of the month rolled around I decided to make a hat. The yarn was given to me at the end of last year and the pattern was one I had in my queue for a while.
The yarn is Haymarket from Lorna’s Laces. A 100% Bluefaced Leicester single-ply yarn. Here are photos of it in the skein, on the swift, and wound into a ball so that you can see the difference between how yarn looks in the skein verses ball.
The pattern is Brattleboro Hat and is available from Interweave and is also in their book 25 Knitted Accessories to Wear and Share. This was an easy knit so able to do while watching children. I followed the pattern as written except when picking up stitches. I picked up three out four and then adjusted the number needed on the next row. If I had been making this for myself I would have added more depth before the decrease rows. The buttons were in my stash, left over from another project. It took me a few days to sew them on because I was wondering if there were better choices deeper in my button jar or if I would want those buttons for some future unknown project. In the end I just sewed them on as I could always replace them at a later date.