I don’t know how many times I have written about projects
where I have yarn, purchase more yarn to go with it and then make something with
the later purchased yarn, leaving the original yarn in stash.
This happened with my latest finished project. In 2015 I
received a beautiful skein of yarn in a subscription box. It was just over 500
metres of DK weight yarn in a lovely shade of red. I loved it, but didn’t know
what I would make with just one skein so I ordered another from the same
source. Imagine my surprise when what turned up was quite different from the
original. The photo shows the difference. Now I had two skeins that I didn’t
know what to do with.
As skeins came up on destash, I purchased two more skeins.
Here are the four skeins I ended up with, as you can see, two are very similar
and the other two are quite different.
But what to make with them? I could use just the two similar
colours in one project or use them all in one project but I felt the lusciousness
of the original skein would be muted if I used it with the other skeins. In the
end I went with a project that would use about three skeins. The pattern I made
was Kerrera. This is a paid-for pattern, but I still made changes to it. The first being that I didn’t
get gauge, so I had to make allowances for that. It is
worked from the bottom up with decreases worked from the top of the hips to the
waist. Although I agreed that this would give a nice shape to the garment, I
wasn’t convinced of a good fit on the top part, so I added increases after the
waist. The sleeves are picked up from the armhole edge and worked downwards. I
wasn’t convinced that with this yarn the pick up would look good, so I worked
from the cuff up and sewed in the sleeves. The original jacket is done up with
three loop buttonholes at the top, as mine is made with 100% alpaca, I thought
that buttons all the way down would be a better idea. I had decided to do that
before I started the jacket but I wish I had thought it through before actually
starting the bands as I would have put the buttonholes in the front band.
Instead I had a finished garment that I somehow had to add button loops to and
I wanted the bands to overlap. This was the biggest delay in finishing the
jacket. The pattern has simple chain loops but I didn’t think they would be
strong enough, so I had grand ideas of using rat’s tail – a satin string – that
didn’t work out either. One of the problems was that the buttons I chose,
although appropriate for the jacket were big and needed big loops, which weren’t
sturdy or very neat. A friend bought me some buttons which I was worried were
small but with a chained loop have worked fine. Yes, you read that correctly,
chained loop; although I worked it as a single crochet foundation chain for
some thickness. Also, I have quite a bit of yarn left over so if any of the
loops wear through I can easily make more.
I started this project at the beginning of August last year.
All the knitting was finished by the end of November and everything was sewn
together by the end of January, when the great button delay started. Although
to be fair to me, I couldn’t see any rush to finish it as it would not be worn
until it got cold again and I really wanted the buttons and loops to be right.
And here we are with winter just around the corner and the WIP KAL as an
incentive and I have a finished garment that I look forward to wearing.