Knit Meter

Monday, March 8, 2021

Straight Onto the Needles (Hook)

Another yarn store is closing. This is the third local store to close in just over 18-months. As I have documented here, when the first store closed, I purchased quite a bit of yarn. When they announced they were closing, they had a timeline and how much the discount increased over that time. It was worth it for me to purchase quite a bit of yarn even if it would take a while to be used.

When the second store announced it was closing about a year ago, the discount varied depending on the item and did not change throughout the time of the sale. This was right at the beginning of the pandemic and shutdown so I chose not to go. A friend went and got some needle tips and some yarn for me.

When the latest store announced its closing, I declared “I Do Not Need More Yarn”. But as a friend reminded me, they sell other things besides yarn. I decided to make an appointment so I could spend some time with a knitting friend. Sandwich and a drink before looking at yarn was just what I needed.

This owners of this particular yarn shop took over when the previous owners retired – 5 or so years ago and they started to stock many different independent dyers. I knew this could be my downfall but I also knew I did not want yarn to sit in my stash. The discount was not worth it. But I did have a pattern in mind before I went shopping. A crochet pattern that a podcaster I watch had made two of; and I didn’t have a crochet project on the go. I also wanted to look at needles.

Unfortunately, this store does not display their needles, so you have to ask for what you want. The good thing for me is that I only purchased what I really wanted, whereas if I had been able to browse I probably would have bought more.

As for yarn, I could have purchased so much. My first stop was at the gradient yarn and a skein went in my basket. I also saw a beautiful blue variegated sock yarn and a pink yarn by a dyer that gives money to outdoor charities. My friend was also picking out skeins. The project I wanted to crochet needed four skeins of fingering yarn and I found two perfect ones hanging next to each other. I have grey in my stash, so I needed to find one more skein but in the end I purchased four skeins for the one project and put back all the other yarns I had picked out on my first scan of the store. My friend also put a lot of her yarn back, but did end up with two colours to knit a Stephen West wrap.


 

When I got home, I immediately wound the first two skeins and started the shawl while watching a movie. This will not be a fast project as I will mostly work on it when I am watching something.

 

I am very pleased with what I bought and happy that I did not buy for the sake of buying. But that will not preclude me from returning if they do happen to increase their discount.

No comments: