Knit Meter

Monday, March 24, 2008

All Change

Remember this?

Well it became



and then



Although that might be a bit misleading because I couldn't turn that yarn into a cat.

I realised that I was never going to wear the jacket and it seemed such a waste of yarn - which wasn't cheap. So back to balls and onto the needles pretty quickly so that I could wear it this winter. If I left it, I was in danger of finishing it in the summer and then forgetting I had it. I have learned a few things from the original project. One is to take better notes. I am very fond of writing "used size needles to get gauge". Hmm not much help when the pattern is from a library book and I have no idea what the gauge was.

The pattern I made up from measuring a (shop-bought) sweater that I really like and I stuck to the measurements apart from adding almost an inch to the length. The ribbing was worked on smaller needles but with the same number of stitches as the main part. The body and sleeves were worked in the round as far as the armhole shaping and then they were joined and worked in the round with raglan shaping until the neck shaping.

I am really pleased with how the sweater came out and as I finished it in time for a cold weekend it has been worn.

The other thing I learned from the original project - if I don't like something when I finish it, I am unlikely to change my mind later.

No comments: