Knit Meter

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Vacation Knitting

We've just been away for a couple of weeks and we drove. This meant I didn't have to worry about packing the right amount and right type of projects, I just filled up my project bag and threw it in the car.

I don't knit in the car but I know many people who do, so when we went to San Fransisco in the summer I decided to give it a try. As we would have some long drives on this trip, I thought I should work on the crochet project I had started on the flights to and from Spain earlier this year. I had put the project aside as it is a Christmas present so no hurry, that is until now.

I managed to get quite a bit done until disaster struck. On one of the car journeys the crochet hook broke. I was still using the plastic hook that I had used on the plane and it just snapped in half. I briefly considered carrying on with the hook but that wasn't going to work. So I had to wait until we found a Walmart to buy a new hook. And they had just one in the size I wanted and it was in a set of three but at least I could continue with the project. If not for that mishap it would be a completed project. But it has dropped down the pile a little as I want to finish the shawl I started on vacation.

I really didn't want to wait too long before casting on the shawl pattern that I purchased at the San Diego Yarn Crawl. The pattern calls for 1 1/3 balls of yarn so I wound one ball to take with me. I really enjoyed working on the shawl, sitting outside, drinking my morning coffee with a view of the red rocks. I finished the ball of yarn right at the end of the vacation which worked out perfectly. (I had back up knitting just in case.) I wound the second ball so I could continue with the project at knit group on Friday. It will be a good project for working on at knitting group. It is almost finished - only six more rows before the cast off - so it should be a finished item in the next couple of weeks.

Speaking of finished items, once again so many projects but only one finished. Since my update in September I finished a scarf for Operation Gratitude. I'll show it off when I have some other finished items.

A couple of phone shots of the vacation knitting,

No comments: