Knit Meter

Monday, September 29, 2014

Yarn Crawl

The San Diego Yarn Crawl was a couple of weeks ago. Last year a group of us went to all the stores and one alpaca farm in one day. It was exciting and fun but this year a friend and I decided to make it low key and visit just the shops we really liked and miss out on the alpaca farms.

The other difference was that this year I intended to buy yarn! A recurring theme of this blog is to knit all my yarn and one of the reasons was so I could buy lots of yarn at this year’s yarn crawl. Although I had given myself permission to buy yarn, I wanted the purchases to be planned so that I didn’t end up with a load of yarn in my stash that I didn’t know what to do with; I especially was not going to buy sock yarn unless it was for a project other than socks. (So hard when there is such lovely sock yarn available.)

I made a list of a few projects I wanted to make and how much of what type of yarn was required. And then in the very first place I bought yarn not on my list. Uh oh. Our first stop was The Yarnover Truck and they had yarn specially dyed for them by Zen Yarn Garden and the colorway is named California Love and there was a shawl pattern designed by Anthony Casalana especially for Serenity Silk Single in this colour. So that was it, I had to have the yarn and the pattern. That really could have been a slippery slope to portend the rest of the day’s purchases but I mentally crossed off yarn for a shawl that was on my list and everything was copacetic.

Next stop was Yarns at Border Leather where my plan was to buy baby yarn. Which I did, but I also made a truly unplanned purchase - a skein of alpaca/wool/nylon in pinks and greens that I decided would make a lovely scarf or cowl for a gift.

After a spot of lunch we headed up to South Park and The Grove. This is an interesting shop as it sells many different things from different vendors, almost shops within a shop. There I bought a stitch marker and a handbag and a yarny gift. And resisted buying any yarn for myself. Then it was a quick hop up to North Park to a fairly new store, AraƱitas Yarn by Sofia. This was a small shop but with lots of natural lighting. I didn't buy anything there. And then we were on our way home.

Except we decided to stop off at Common Threads where I purchased some Madeline Tosh Sock. Not for socks but to make a cardigan because I am crazy to want to knit a cardigan in fingering weight yarn. Also at Common Threads I won some yarn in their door prize.

It was a fun day out, spending the day with a good buddy and meeting up with other friends and yarn at the end of it.

No comments: