Knit Meter

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Find Your Style

The other day I tried on a sweater that I had knitted but never worn. I had bought a white skirt to wear with the sweater but, also, had never worn because I was worried about wearing a white skirt. I tried on the skirt to see if I still liked it and then a few days later I tried on the sweater - but not with the white skirt - go figure.

The first thing that struck me was how well the sweater fit. Armholes, bust, waist. So the sweater is still not going to be worn until I take all the measurements because I do want to start knitting sweaters again.

The second thing that struck me was how the length defied what Sally Melville had taught in her class on knitting for fit. According to Ms. Melville the sweater should stop at the widest part; as I was wearing straight legged jeans, the widest part were my hips but the sweater was past my crotch. (According to Ms. Melville, the crotch showing is also a good point.) I folded the sweater so that it fell at the widest point and it did not look as good as the original length. I am thinking that this is because the sweater has a low square neckline and needs length for balance. Which goes to show that all clothing rules are arbitrary and you should try many styles to find what suits the best.

1 comment:

Chellis said...

Ha.. My sister always told me to avoid tops that stop just on your widest part... Like you say.. all arbitrary in the end!