Knit Meter

Saturday, February 2, 2019

A Big One and A Small One

Two projects finished in January - one of my Advent projects and a quick little project for my Granddaughter.

The Advent project finished is the Advent to Epiphany, which I would have finished on time if I had bound off at the end of the pattern. But I had yarn left over and as it was gradient yarn I wanted to use all of it. The shawl was knit in sections of garter stitch and lace, with all the garter sections having the same number of rows and all the lace sections having the same number of rows. The shawl ended with a garter stitch section so I decided to just repeat that but that didn’t use up all the yarn. I pulled out the extra rows and added a lace section. The lace sections had all been a different pattern so I searched my stitch pattern books for a pattern that would fit in with the others and be the right number of rows. This used up most of the yarn and I finished with a few rows of garter stitch before binding off with an Icelandic bind off.

The pattern is Combinatorics by Tetiana Otruta and the yarn is from Alexandra's Crafts that I purchased at Stitches SoCal.

This thing is big!



The other two Advent cast ons are still being worked on. I am managing to work a few rows of the lace mystery nearly every day and the other one would have been finished if I hadn’t decided to use up all the yarn – such a theme of mine.


One day, walking to school, my granddaughter declared that she needed gloves and I could make her some. When I asked her what colour, of course she said pink. I knew I had yarn in stash and it would be a quick project it was a matter of finding time. Ann Budd’s Handy Book of Patterns came in, well, handy. The yarn I used was fingering weight, left over from these socks.

I doubled the yarn which meant few stitches. What a pain. I didn’t have any double pointed needles in the right size but did end up using two circulars. The reaction was worth it.



No comments: