Knit Meter

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Some Gifts

These two projects were finished in July but I hadn’t shown them until now as they were both gifts.

Firstly, a quick little baby hat for a friend who used to live near me but (conveniently for knitting purposes) moved to Washington state. Which makes it a no brainer for baby knitting. She is very much into reuse, reduce, recycle, so I knew she would have no problem that the yarn I used to make her new baby a hat was yarn left after knitting a hat for someone else. The skeins of Red Heart Soft are just under 150 grams so go along way. This is the fourth project from this particular skein and I still have some left. Yes, it’s acrylic, but it is soft for a baby and machine washable and dryable so convenient for parents. Using leftover yarn, it seemed appropriate to knit a pattern that I had already made. The first time I made the newborn size but this time I made the 6-12 months size so that it could be worn in the winter.



The other gift I made was a birthday present for my niece. After deciding that I did not like what I had first made with this yarn, I decided to make a shawl that would show off the colours and thought it would make a great gift for my niece. The pattern is Sun Glitter shawl and there are two variations – garter stitch or stocking stitch. I decided to go with stocking stitch to get a slightly bigger wrap and to show off the colours better. It is a good pattern for variegated yarn.

Before I show a picture of the finished item, here is a photo of it in progress, I just knit from the bottom of the original project. It also gives you a chance to see how loose the original project was, which I had shown at the end of this post.



And the finished item.

No comments: