Knit Meter

Saturday, March 28, 2020

And Now For Some Knitting

Way back in February I said that there had been gift knitting and charity knitting going on. I have made a hat for charity in each month this quarter and I will try to post all three hats before the end of the quarter. I have finished the project I started with the first batch of yarn from the closing down sale (and cast on the next project) and finished my oldest WIP, the cardigan. As with the Advent shawl, no decent photos yet. I do have photos of the gift knitting.

But before I talk about that, lets have a recap of the many (LOL) projects on the needles. I still have seven WIPs that were on the needles at the start of the year and two WIPs cast on this year and two WIPs cast on while in self-distancing (and my mitred squares). So in my effort to reduce WIPs, I know have two more. Oh my, what am I thinking?

Anyway here is the gift knitting.

I have a drop spindle, which I try to use most weeks because practice makes perfect, although real life doesn't work that way. I have been very careful not to buy fiber until I need it; I have also been very bad at noting when I start and finish spinning the fiber. This is fiber I purchased in May 2018 after I finished spinning some practice fiber.



I did not make any notes about how I split the braid for spinning but as I ended up with two plyed balls I guess I split the braid into half and each half into two. I decided not to worry about the colours when I plyed, so in some places it is barber poled.



That was August 2019. But what to make with it? Something for my mother which I finally started in January. I had an idea of making a hat with the yarn and settled on a pattern from Drops Design. I like the way the top of the hat came out.



Having made the hat, I still had quite a bit of yarn left so I decided to make the fingerless mitts from the same pattern. I don't know how much my mother will wear them but I know she is pleased to receive anything I make.


No comments: