Knit Meter

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Hypocrisy, Laziness, Superiority

I haven’t written anything for a while, not because I have nothing to say or nothing to show but because of what is (still) going on in the yarn industry. And I feel I need to address that before, literally, getting back to my knitting.

In November I wrote that pointed attacks have died down but now it is new year, new attacks. I am not going to say sides but people of all beliefs are being attacked or being the attackers and most of what is happening falls under one or more of the categories used in my title.

Let’s give some examples. Hypocrisy – calling a designer names when another person posts how bad that designer is but you have kits in your online shop to knit various of this “bad” designer’s patterns.
Laziness – stating that Ravelry’s policy upset 50% of knitters. This is lazy extrapolation from voting data whereas we do not know how many people were upset by Ravelry’s pronouncement.
Superiority – watching a troublesome video and telling black people not to watch it. Because I am protecting you.

There are many more examples. Complaining about being called names while deliberately mangling a person’s name; stating that I’ve met some Trump supporters and they are nice people but democrats are not nice; (Hello, there are nice and not nice people of all political persuasions.) piling on the abuse to show that you are a good person; using the proscribed words when you have to write an apology; lauding people that have been bullied, bullying is not good (see pile on) and should be stopped but that doesn’t mean the person being bullied is not a racist; telling a Japanese person who is not offended by the use of Kimono that they are wrong; telling people that you are going to block them if they are following certain people but you are still following these bad people to check on their latest (racist) deeds; complaining about comments being deleted and people being blocked and then doing the same thing; being exactly what you are complaining about.
These are just examples that I can recall while writing this. There have been others which have gone out of my head as I did not take a note of them at the time. But my favourite act of hypocrisy was being blocked by a white instagrammer who was writing against racism because I had the audacity to tell her what racism was like in real life. And that, for me, was the point when I knew that these SJWs are not concerned about racism but just want to be seen as the good guy.

No comments: