Knit Meter

Saturday, May 2, 2020

First of the Sale Yarn

Last year, I wrote about buying yarn in a going out of business sale and posted pictures of what I had purchased. For some reason I only showed what I had bought on the first trip and not on the subsequent trips. I went a second time with a friend when they had reduced to the biggest percentage and the third trip was to see what they had left on their last day.

My criteria for purchasing in this sale was that I had to have an idea of what I was going to make with the yarn I purchased. No buying because I liked it and then it sits in my stash until I give it away.

The last purchase was some Noro yarn (Noro Silk Garden Lite) to make a skirt. I have already made two Lanesplitters out of different Noro yarns and purchased what I thought would be enough yarn to make a third. Of course, this didn’t allow for me changing my mind when it came time to cast on.



My goal for this year is to knit the yarn that I purchased in the sale, so when I finished the gift knitting I started the skirt. As I said I decided not to make another Lanesplitter and chose instead Entrelac Swirl. I had seen this on display at Stitches SoCal. I think this will be another skirt pattern that I will make more than once as it will look different in different yarns. (Just make sure I buy enough next time – more on that later.)

As the Noro yarn is rather rustic I used some left over sock yarn for the waist band. The skirt is then knit in columns of entrelac squares. I made much fewer squares than the pattern which is very easy to memorize. And then – I ran out of yarn. As I was getting closer to the end I had a feeling I was not going to have enough yarn; I was obsessively weighing after each column. Luckily, a friend had bought the same yarn and as I needed only a small amount (5g as it turned out) she let me have some of hers.

I used a fine sock yarn for the seam and decided not to finish the bottom edge.




No comments: