Knit Meter

Friday, April 24, 2020

My Advent Knit

On 1 December last year, I posted about my two Advent cast ons. One was a complicated lace pattern that I am still working on and I aim is to be finished by the end of November so I can wear it during Advent this year. Of course, if I can finish it before then, all the better.

The other project was the project from my yarn Advent calendar. This was a mystery yarn kit with 20 grams of yarn wrapped for each day for 25 days. I had thought about posting a picture each day of that day’s yarn, but that never happened. I have seen some people open their yarn each day and then take a photo of all the skeins together at the end. But I wanted to knit each colour on the day I opened it. I very quickly got behind so I opened each day when I was ready for it and not on the day it should have been opened.

It took a lot of consideration to come up with a pattern that I wanted to make and I thought woulf work with multiple colours and I could adapt to use all the yarn. Most of the Advent patterns used about half of each skein and I did not want to be left with a lot of yarn. The pattern I chose was Chaukor which was easy to increase the width and make as long as I wanted.

The colour scheme I chose was antique rainbow, although I like the end result, the knitting did get a bit boring during the colour progressions - I thought the pinks would never end. The set started with the purple yarn and finished with the blues. As you can see, this is huge and will be great for cooler evenings.



One of my friends has started to talk about an Advent for this year and mentioned that some dyers are preparing for Advent already. I’m not sure I want to go that route again. If I did I would not knit the whole skein of each yarn I got or I would choose a set with smaller amount of yarn. Or I could buy mini sets in advance and choose an Advent pattern to start on 1 December. We shall see.

No comments: