Knit Meter

Saturday, January 1, 2022

2022 Here We Come

I am starting the year with more WIPs than I intended. Two are the result of wanting mindless knitting at the end of the year (and one not turning out to be quite so mindless). One is a jacket I was hoping to finish in December but when I finished all the knitting of the main part I realized I hadn’t blocked the sleeves. This delayed finishing for a day or two and then I decided not to rush especially as I still have to purchase buttons. And then there is the lace cardigan which is the only WIP I was expecting. I am a little disappointed that instead of one WIP I have three (plus scrap blankets and hat in the car) but as two of these projects meant I was actually working on something, it is not the end of the world.

A couple of my plans are the same as last year – complete WIPs and use stash yarn I was given for charity items. One thing that I was planning on doing was using up my dishcloth cotton but as I used some of it at the end of 2021 for mindless knitting I am going to save the cotton for year end in case I am in the same situation.

Although I greatly added to my stash last year I am not stressed by it and it will get used at some point. I still have two sets of yarn from the previous closing down sale that have not been used. I have chosen the pattern and swatched for one set but have changed my mind about the other set but am not going to get hung up about it.

I would like to make the Advent shawl from 2018 but as this will require a lot of concentration, I will finish the lace cardigan first. I also want to use the yarns I got in the yarn swap. Currently I have the pattern planned but need to decide on the order in which I will work the yarns. As the swap started on 11 December, I think I will start this on 11 January. And my knitting friends and I have a KAL planned to start in February.

All these plans do not mean that I will not be starting anything new on 1 January. Like last year I will be casting on all the things. I like to make a hat each month for charity. And this year I am going to make the monthly hats from Kelbourne Woolens. I was going to do this last year but was put off by the comments on the first couple of months that the hats came out small. Well, if I’m not making the hats for anyone in particular what does it matter what size they come out? As I don’t have a crochet project currently on the go (apart from the project in the car) I am going to make another Waroo shawl using a set of minis I was given for my birthday. I intend to change yarn as each one runs out rather than when the pattern dictates. But we will see. These are just small items, plus a gift I am going to make, so I am going to start a cardigan. This will be using my not-quite-oldest-yarn which was purchased to make a particular cardigan, but I couldn’t get gauge, so now I am going to knit a different pattern where I also can’t get gauge. But at least this one will be mostly mindless knitting.

As you can see there are not massive plans for the whole year, just the first month or so, which gives me plenty of leeway to start what I want as the fancy takes me.

No comments: