Knit Meter

Monday, May 9, 2022

I Sewed a Skirt

I’ve been rather quiet just lately despite finishing two sewn items and some knitted items. I have knitted two hats that I will not be showing until the end of the year as they are gifts. I made a dress but do not have a photo of it yet and I also made a skirt which I will be showing here.

I was given some fabric for Christmas and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted it to be a skirt; I also decided I didn’t want to make my standard easy pattern of two pieces cut on the bias with an elastic waist. A while ago I had downloaded and printed the Simple Summer Pleated Skirt from So Sew Easy. I had enough fabric as long as I didn’t want pockets and I had some zips from when I purchased in bulk so I could start whenever I wanted.

There is a video to go along with the pattern but I still was not able to get the zipper and waistband to look the same. Obviously, I was doing something wrong but, despite watching the video a few times I could not get it plus this way of attaching a zip was not in any of my books. Having said that, the end result is acceptable. The other thing is to trust your measurements. The body of the skirt, front and backs, are rectangles and pleats are added at the waist to fit the waistband. I had to take in the waist, which was not hard as the waistband is seamed but would have been better if I’d trusted my measurements and cut the waistband to the correct length. I still would have made the skirt pieces the same width and made bigger pleats otherwise I suspect that it would be tight around the legs. Despite these two issues, I am really pleased with the finished item and not only will it be worn I can see myself making more.

 


 

No comments: