Knit Meter

Monday, May 16, 2022

Tunisian Crochet

In my last post I said that I had a finished knitted item. Although it is not really knitted as it is Tunisian Crochet. My two yarny friends and I have Make Alongs at various times, usually we make the same pattern, sometimes we have a theme – for example Advent. It’s been a while since we all made the same pattern and one of the others suggested Tunisian crochet. I requested hooks for Christmas and then with all the cast ons at the beginning of the year suggested a start date of 14 February.

I was having trouble choosing yarn as I didn’t want to buy any but I also wanted to join in. Then it came to me I had five skeins of yarn that I had purchased to go together and I could use them double to make DK weight yarn. I had originally purchased this yarn as it was massively on sale and it would go with a skein of yarn I already had but as things go that skein of yarn turned into a pair of socks.

Here are the original five skeins. 



The top skein is the first one purchased, the next three were the ones I purchased as they were on sale and the bottom one was purchased so I had five skeins to make a wrap. But then the top one became socks however at the same time I was able to get another skein on sale. So I still had five skeins with plans to make a Joji Locatelli pattern, except I never did.

It was really nice to finally use these and I could see myself making a garment out of tweed yarn. I especially thought so for the grey yarn that I used for the border. As I said I had five skeins of tweed yarn but this pattern only used four. The remaining skein could become socks or will be lovely as one of those cowl/shawls that I like.

These are the five skeins before use, the bottom one was the one that didn’t get used.

 
 
 
Here is my finished Tunisian crochet shawl. It is soft and squidgy and I look forward to wearing it in the colder weather. 

 


Oh, and as we have all finished our shawls, there was a discussion about our next make along. We couldn't come to an agreement so new cast ons for the time being, which actually is a relief as I do want to finish some more things.

No comments: