Knit Meter

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

At Least I Finished a Pair of Socks

As is usually the case when I don’t write a post for a while it is because I have been writing in my head, and then something else comes up but I feel I need to commit the first post to the World Wide Web, so nothing is posted.

My original post has been erased (from my mind) and here, eventually, is a sock post. Which is a post about socks and not a post pretending to be something else.

At the beginning of April I cast on all the things. I’m not really sure why I went crazy but it was a combination of having just long term projects on the needles, liking the challenges in Sock Knitters Anonymous, wanting a selection of non-concentrating and concentrating patterns and the start of a new quarter.

And as 1 April was a Saturday, I was able to start ALL-THE-THINGS. I cast on two socks (different pairs), and three cardigans.

The two sock themes for April that I was interested in were manipulating self-striping yarn and patterns that you have made before. I have a skein of self-striping yarn that I purchased way back in 2019. It is bold red, white and blue and I have struggled choosing a pattern for it as if the stripes are going to be manipulated, I really want them to be manipulated. While I was thinking about patterns I might like to knit again, I realized that a yarn I had got in a swap in 2018 was also self-striping. I was all ready to start but changed my mind at the last minute. I ended up using the gift yarn in a self-striping pattern – and these are the socks I have finished – and used the bold self-striping in a “repeat” pattern.

For the self-striping pattern I chose Margaritaville. This pattern moves the design with decrease and increases and works well with the yarn I chose as it is what is called jacquard stripes as some of the stripes create a pattern; you can see this on the sole. I started them on 1 April and finished them on 30 April. I don’t know why they took so long. Especially as I was away for two of those weeks and, apart from in the car, this was the only thing I worked on – one sock. 


 

No comments: