Knit Meter

Friday, March 31, 2023

New Yarn, New Project

A new yarn store has opened near to me recently and a couple of friends and I met for lunch and a quick look. I wanted to support this store but I did not really want to buy anything so I decided I would buy yarn for a gift. I ended up doing that but also buying a skein of yarn for myself. The yarn is beautiful and could easily become a pair of socks but I cast on pretty quickly a longer cowl.

I like this style of cowl and I have knit a few by a different designer but this is a new to me designer. You start off knitting flat as you would for a shawl and then join in the round. Usually I would work until I ran out of yarn but this time I finished when the pattern said to. The start is a short piece of garter stitch with stitches picked up along one long edge, which is a pretty standard shawl start. I followed another knitter’s suggestion to cast on with much smaller needles and gradually increase size as this avoids the hump at the start of the shawl. I will definitely do that when I next make a shawl but I am not convinced it was the best thing for a cowl as you want lots of drape at the neck. But I do love the finished item, because I really love the yarn.

 


 



The yarn is Dream in Color Smoosy, colour Burr and the pattern is Secret Skein.

No comments: