Knit Meter

Saturday, June 17, 2023

It’s Frog Season

A couple of posts ago I said that I had cast-on-all-the-things but had only finished one. This past week has been the week of the frog. I frogged three of April’s cast ons. Three! 

I had cast on three cardigans and one is nearly finished; I just need some time to sew all the seams.The other two, well...Before 1 April I swatched, including blocking, all three yarns but somehow the other two cardigan were both turning out too big. One of them is an allover lace pattern and I wondered if the size would change as I completed more of the pattern but I did not want to keep knitting and knitting and still have to frog, so I pulled it out and recast on a smaller size at the end of May.

The other cardigan is a bit of a mystery as the gauge of the garment is the same as the swatch but the size was still too big. I’m guessing that I was allowing for more ease than needed. Also as I have a limited amount of yarn I decided to restart with a different pattern. Now I am making a top-down cardigan. This way I can try it on at different times and see how it fits and I can stop knitting when I run out of yarn.

I also frogged the second pair of socks. This was a repeat pattern and my notes on the original project say “a bit fiddly”. That felt like an understatement this time around as I just couldn’t be bothered to work on them. They were frogged and yarn went back into stash. 


 

I still have one more project to frog. I knew I would not have enough yarn to complete the project but I convinced myself that I would just need to add contrasting yarn for the borders. It is pretty obvious that I am not going to have enough yarn to make the sleeves but the project is so pretty that I am not ready to frog yet.

But never fear, I made up for all these non-projects by casting on a load of things in June.

No comments: