Knit Meter

Sunday, August 6, 2023

I Thought I Wasn’t Making Shawls

I have a finished project at last. It certainly has been a recurring theme of lots of knitting but nothing to show for it. Considering the number of projects I have on the go, this was a relatively quick knit – two months in total including blocking.

(A quick note about my WIPS, it feels like I am getting ready for the WIP challenge in the last quarter of the year.)

I was given two balls of Rowan Fine Lace way back in 2019 because they were my colours – pink. In 2020 when I saw a new pattern –Flowers in the Air – I knew my yarn was perfect for it. But it still took 2½ years to cast on! It is a paid-for pattern but really inexpensive. The pattern is charted and written and is relatively simple. There are options for beads which, although pretty, I decided not to include. The other thing that was surprising for me is that I decided to bind off when I came to the end of the pattern and not keep working until I ran out of yarn. It turns out that was a good decision as the shawl was quite wide already. I used 11/3 skeins and the shawl is as light as air.

Although I said I bound off when I came to the end of the pattern, I actually worked four rows of stocking stitch before bind off so that it wasn’t straight after a lace row as I knew the edge would roll. I modified the edge stitches to make them looser, even so when blocking I could not shape it into a true triangle; another reason why I am glad that I didn’t make it bigger. I just need an occasion to wear it.




 

No comments: