I started this post writing about provisional cast ons and why they could be better than picking up from a cast on edge. As part of my thoughts on this I started to write about learning new things in your hobby and I decided that was actually a better idea for the blog.
What I was wondering if knitting is a hobby and a hobby is something we do for fun should we keep learning new things to do in this hobby? - at what point do we stop trying to learn new things in our hobby? And does it matter? If this is something we are doing for fun is it OK to get to a certain point and say I'm good I don't need to learn/practice anything else. And I would say, it is something you do for fun and, therefore, it should be whatever you want it to be.
But where I would say there is a problem with this, is when the hobbyist (knitter in this case) doesn’t want to try anything new, but expects everything catered to their level of expertise. By choosing this route everything is dumbed down and there is nothing new for those who do want to learn.
What started this thought process today (although it has been on my mind for a while) was an influencer claiming they hated every provisional cast on in the world and in their latest pattern they just had you cast on and pick up from the cast on edge. This is fine but they are a relatively new knitter so after how many cast ons did they decide they hate them all? Also as a knitting influencer, they have monetized their hobby, so, yes, they should still enjoy it but what about learning new things and becoming more proficient? I fear in this case it is a good example of human nature, s/he who sounds most confident is the one listened to, even if they are wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment