In my What I Knit on Vacation post, I said I wanted to compare the heel from Vanilla is the New Black with the Strong heel. I first came across this style of heel in the socks knitted here - I know not a good photo. In that pattern the heel isn't given a name but I now know it as a Strong heel, named after the designer. (Note: I do not know if the heel in the Gansey pattern was developed independently of Ms. Stong's heel.)
The obvious difference between the two heels is that one is in stocking stitch and one is in rib. This texture does make it harder to compare the two socks but I felt that the ribbed heel was wider. It was easy to compare the two patterns. The Gansey Sock pattern has the increases on every third row and increases the stitches by 20; which is about 3/4 of the back stitches. The ribbed heel increases are worked every other row and 32 stitches are added; which is equal to the number of back stitches. I also incorporated this style of heel into a sock I knitted in 2021. That heel was definitely wide and was executed by increasing every other row until 2 stitches less than double.
Looking at these patterns and finished socks, I like the slower increasing as it makes for a longer heel flap which I prefer but I also do not need to add the full amount of stitches.
I had planned to work this style of heel on all my holiday socks so that I did not have to be picking up stitches at not the best time. In the end I only did it on the first pair. I have been knitting socks for so long that working a heel flap and picking up stitches is not a problem unless the light is poor. But I think I will have to remember to replace a short row heel with this style as I don't like working short row heels and although they fit, I don't think it is the correct fit as that style is a shallow heel.
No comments:
Post a Comment