Knit Meter

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Warm Heads In Calgary

As mentioned a couple of posts ago, I have been knitting for the family still in Calgary. Although these were finished in November, I had to wait for the parcel to arrive in case they read this blog.

Firstly there’s a hat just because I liked the yarn. I found a pattern on RavelryChunky Triangle Rib Hat by Gretchen Tracy. Although I cast on way fewer stitches as the pattern cast on of 70 stitches seems way to many for a bulky yarn. I also left off one pattern repeat (3 rows) as I did not have enough yarn. No great photos but I am pleased with the finished hat. It can either be worn slouchy or the brim turned up for a normal hat.



The one thing I love about my son’s girlfriend is that she loves all the handmade items I make for them. She had been at a fair and they had children’s headbands, rather than buy one, she asked me to make one. I asked the colour and was told purple. As you can imagine, I didn’t want to buy yarn but if I was going to make something it should be in the colour requested. I have some purple in my stash but I did not think it soft enough for a headband so I decided Red Heart Soft in the grape colorway was purple enough. I looked at many, many headband patterns on Ravelry and decided to just knit my own. I used the yarn double with appropriate sized needles and knit in single rib, when I got to half the circumference, I put a cable in, half the stitches crossed over the other half, continued in rib to match the length of the first half, seamed and voilĂ  a headband.



Now two members of the family had head coverings, I didn’t think my son should be left out. I had seen a pattern, shortrows sideways hat by Kristi Porter after making one disastrous attempt at buying yarn I did get some other yarn. Again I had to guess on circumference as my son has a big head.



Lastly, I was requested to make some blue booties for the baby boy they were expecting. I had blue yarn in my stash and decided that I would try a different pattern from my standard. I chose Baby Uggs by Autumn Street. I followed the pattern knowing they would fit the baby at some point. The baby came early and is small so at the moment they are like leggings with feet.



I have been madly knitting smaller ones.

I still have a few things to photograph, November’s socks are finished, the shawl with beads is finished, and there are two baby cardigans just waiting for front bands.

No comments: