Knit Meter

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

How Bad Is It?

Tomorrow Knit Meter will reset the numbers to show that I have knitted/crocheted the grand amount of zero. I will change the yarn in and out to zero too. It would be nice if I had a project close to finishing so that I could start the beginning of the year in credit but I think it will be a couple of weeks before a finished object appears.

So looking at the numbers, it would appear that 2014 was not a good year for reducing stash as there was 12858 meters of yarn in and 10243 meters used. But like any good statistician, I need to manipulate the numbers. Firstly I will deduct the yarn that arrived on 26 December that I had won from a blog. That will make yarn in 12018, still too high. I could deduct the yarn I purchased this year that I knew that I wouldn't knit until next year. If I deducted all the yarn I bought on sale to make into charity items in 2015 then the yarn in will be 11226 or 10386 if I also deduct the prize yarn. Still not quite enough. But if I deduct the yarn I was given that I showed you in the last post then I can bring yarn in down to 10155 meters, less than yarn out. Which goes to show that you can prove anything with manipulation of numbers!

This time last year I wrote that I wanted to use up stash. Looking at these numbers it doesn't appear that I have managed to do that. But actually I am very happy with my yarn accumulation. Most of the yarn purchased this year has had a purpose and mostly it has been for gifts or charity. I also went through my stash and sold some and swapped some. My sock yarn has dropped so that now I have just three amounts earmarked for socks and four earmarked for other projects. So I am pretty happy with my stash. This year I will knit mostly from stash but if there is something that I really want to make then I will not worry about buying yarn.

In 2014, I had 68 items on the needles nine of which were crocheted and four were frogged. Of the remaining 64, 12 were for charity and 28 were for other people. Of the nine items on the needles at the start of the year, I finished six and frogged one. This does mean that I still have two items on the needles that were there this time last year. One of them is the never ending project that I am not even going to make any predictions for as I obviously cannot keep to them. Although, surely, I should be able to finish both of these before the end of 2015?

I am starting the year with eight projects on the needles, including the two old projects. That is one less than last year but still not a good number. Although I am going to change the wording to eight unfinished projects. As one is a soft toy that I am (slowly) in the process of finishing. (I am not fond of sewing up toys.) One is a bag that is finished but I am thinking of adding a sewn lining so it does not count as finished in my book. One is a project that I am thinking of frogging but as I have no other plans for the yarn I haven't bothered to frog. Which means there are five projects on the needles. Which still sounds too many especially as I know I will be adding to them this week with all the January knit alongs.

This time next year I hope to be writing that the two old projects are finished; that I have less then eight unfinished projects; and that yarn in was less than yarn out.

But whatever I write I know that each year I will be thanking my husband for another wonderful year.

No comments: