Knit Meter

Monday, October 31, 2022

Gift Knitting

I have written that I have finished a few things but not shown them here as they were for gifts. When knitting for an expected baby, there are quite a few months for making, especially if you work gradually and don’t put it off until the last minute. I was surprised by how many items I had made. I knitted seven things and sewed three garments. Except for one sewn item, all the makes were from stash, mostly leftovers. I only made one pair of booties, even though the mother loves my hand knit booties. I just didn’t have it in me to make more but I know I should. I did make three hats though. Plus a dress and two jackets. I am really pleased with everything I made and the mother loves them, but she is very knitworthy. 

Selection of hand made baby items

 


 

In August, I showed a baby jacket that I had sewn. Here are the first two I made. For the first one I purchased fabric and binding and made it exactly as the pattern. I used my serger to finish all the seams but decided it would definitely be better lined; which I did with the next one. (The third one I made reversible.)

I then made a dress with left over fabric, and I had buttons in stash.

Sewn baby items

 

On a yarn crawl I was given a skein of yarn that I loved the yarn but couldn’t think what to do with as I had just the one skein but a baby jacket was just right with enough yarn left over for a hat.

 

I had just one skein of tweed yarn used in the blue and tweed jacket. In the pattern only the yoke is striped but when I knew I was not going to have enough of the tweed for the sleeves, I used it all up on the body and then worked the rest of the sleeves in blue. Came out pretty well I think. 


 

The pink hat is a pattern I have made before as it is a good hat for babies as it stretches. The yarn was left over from a charity hat and there was still enough left over to use in the multi-coloured hat. The pattern for that is Golden Pear and is a good way to use up small amounts of yarn.


 

I had purchased the white and lilac yarns used in the dress specifically so I had baby yarn in my stash. I had used them both in other baby knits but still had a full skein of the white left. Perfect for this dress pattern.


 

No comments: