Knit Meter

Saturday, October 8, 2022

A Little Bit of Shopping

I’m sure I am not the only one who wants to support small and/or new businesses but does not want any of the items they sell.

Last weekend was the Vista Fiber Fiesta. I have attended for a number of years whenever I have been in town but it has changed from a nice size festival with so much choice to a small event hanging on by its nails.

I would like the festival to continue and to grow, but growth is not happening. The organizing group changed this year and I hope with one festival under their belt they will start to promote this event to vendors.

This year I went with the specific purpose of buying to support vendors so that they will return and tell others to come and sell their wares. The difficulty of buying for the sake of buying is actually choosing something that is not going to weigh you down every time you see it in the stash. So I was very surprised to see amidst the sea of colour a skein of white sparkled yarn as I had this in my head as something to buy. The other yarn I purchased was a show special and it is likely that I will need it for my blanket.

There was a stall selling project bags – I do not need project bags – but they were selling packets of fabric left over from their bag making. These were a good price and fabric that you wouldn’t find in Jo Anns. I was very good and only purchased one pacakage.

So at the end of the day, what seemed like a tough choice because I didn’t really want anything, turned out to be good additions to my stash.



 

2 comments:

underdutchskies said...

Vista was such a nice festival. I have great memories of being there as a stall holder and meeting so many nice people. Including you! I hope Vista can continue and good for you for supporting it.

Anonymous said...

I think of you when I go, and your husband, and wonder if you would be disappointed to see how it has shrunk. I hope with a new organizer word will get out to attract vendors.