Knit Meter

Monday, July 2, 2007

To The Lighthouse

I finished reading this book this morning and really enjoyed it. It was beautifully written and you could imagine a person's train of thought jumping around.

Why do I mention this book and not all the others I read?

Because the first time I tried to read this book I thought it was a load of rubbish and wondered why it was so well thought of. What has changed since then?

One major difference is where I was reading it. And I don't mean a different country. When I first tried to read it was on a railway commute. I read many different things on my train journeys but maybe there was too much noise or distractions to appreciate the writing. This time round I was able to read in the peace and quiet of my home and savour the writing.

The other difference is that since the first attempt, I have read another book by Virginia Woolf and a biography before embarking on To the Lighthouse.

I read Mrs. Dalloway because I wanted to read The Hours and thought it would be useful to read Mrs. Dalloway first; and I wanted to read The Hours as I thought it would be a good idea to read it before seeing the film.

By the way, I still haven't seen the film.

No comments: