Knit Meter

Friday, April 1, 2016

Successful Vacation Knitting

The last time I wrote about knitting while on vacation it was a tale of wow about unsuccessful projects and I was mindful of this as I set off for a trip to visit family. I needed an easy pattern suitable for working while chatting I also thought if I limited the yarn I took, I would have to make it work, also if the worse came to worst I could buy yarn and needles.

I had seen a mystery knit along on Ravelry for a shawl knit out of DK weight yarn. I have some nice DK weight yarn that I had no idea what to make so this was the opportunity. I wound one skein before I went and took needle tips in two sizes but still living dangerously no swatching before hand. I did take a skein of sock yarn and needles just in case.

I am pleased to report that this time the knitting was a success. Not only do I like the pattern but yarn has been used up. I have used two full skeins in the same colour and started the third skein in a different colour. The day before I was due to come home, I got to the border. As it is a sideways knit border I decided to wait until I got home before starting. the problem is that now I have two shawls waiting for sideways borders to be added; although not hard, they are not social knitting. The skein of sock yarn was not needed.

This is the shawl after two clues.



A little bit of souvenir shopping went on. Before I left I ordered some yarn from West Yorkshire Spinners and it was waiting for me. It is their Signature 4-ply in their Country Birds series and I chose Kingfisher. This will self-stripe and I am going to be patient and wait for the challenge before starting this yarn.



I also took a crochet project for the flights and started a Tulips Hat.

My WIPs are creeping up and I want to cast on a pair of socks or two for April's challenge. Nevermind that I'm not even at the heel on the first sock for March's challenge. Although I did finish one of the cardigans before I went away, it needs to be blocked and sleeves sewn in before it is a finished object. And having completed that I will work on the other cardigan that is on the needles.

But they are all projects I am enjoying working on.

No comments: