Knit Meter

Friday, April 3, 2020

And Now Unknitting

In my year-end round up, I said that I had frogged some completed items. One of them was this project I made way back in 2012. Although I liked the finished item, I never wore it as it was not quite big enough. I finally frogged it at the end of last year. After frogging the yarn was very crinkly so I soaked and hung it to dry and the yarn ended up wavy. Here is a picture showing the knitted item, after frogging and after washing.



The challenge in the Sock Knitters Anonymous Group for March was Self-striping yarn and there was a mystery KAL to go with the challenge. So I cast on. By the time I got to the heel, I knew the pattern wasn't for me. Looking at other knitters' socks, the pattern worked best with yarn with narrow stripes. This wouldn't have been so bad if I had liked the pattern but it was blocks of feather-and-fan with blocks of moss stitch.

I got as far as the heel, which I worked in a contrasting yarn, when I finally gave up.



I think I prefer this yarn as a scarf/shawl rather than a sock. The yarn originally comes knitted in a long scarf, so it would be strange to actually knit a scarf although it would be different from its original form. As there is not enough yarn for a shawl, as evidenced by the Hitchhiker, I'm thinking of a half-hap type pattern with the centre knit with this yarn and a plain yarn used for the lace edge. Also as I write this, the Sun Glitter Shawl was a fun one-skein pattern.

I have other yarn, no need to make a decision yet.

No comments: