Knit Meter

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

It’s Time to Finish All the Things

And here we are again, the WIP KAL which starts 22 September and goes to the end of the year. Although I have my preferred number of WIPs, at this time in the year I always seem to have around ten. This year I have 11. I am not sure how it gets so high but I can immediately dismiss three long term projects leaveing me with eight projects to work on before year end.

These photos show them all lined up in order of start date, including the long term projects but does not include the two projects in the car. From left to right are, mitred square blanket, lace cardigan, crochet blanket, jacket, crochet shawl, squares made from last December’s swap, Pi shawl, baby blanket, baby dress. (The mitred square blanket, crochet blanket and Pi shawl are my long term projects that I will not rush to work on.)



 

 

As usual I would like to work on just two projects at a time; one requiring concentration and one not. There’s just one problem with that, amongst all those projects there is just one that does not require concentration and that’s the project using last year’s swap yarns and even that isn’t hours and hours of mindless knitting as I am at the stage of picking up stitches, knitting a few rows and picking up more stitches.

I will work on my two oldest projects first - the cardigan and the jacket. After being on the needles for so long I can see the finish line for the cardigan; I am currently working the front band as a join-as-you-go to the body. I tried it on before I started the join and I am really happy with it. I would like to get it finished by the end of the month. The red jacket just needs button loops. I have been procrastinating about this for so long as my original idea didn’t work so now I just have to try some different loops. I tried this on at the same time as I was trying the lace cardigan and I do really like it; so time to get a move on so I can actually wear it. Once I have finished those two I can work on the crochet shawl. I don’t think it will take too long once I give it all my attention. The two hats won’t take long to finish either. One needs a load of ends sewn in and the other will be finished on the next road trip.

This leaves the baby blanket and the baby dress. It is unlikely that I will finish the blanket before the end of the year. This is the project that has lace on every row. I am not going to rush to finish it as I will be happier finishing the other items first. I thought I might get the dress finished before this KAL started and I am really close. But I remembered I want to redo the sleeve edgings, so it will be a few more days until it is completely finished. At least it doesn’t need buttons.

I like writing this out. At first glance I feel like I have loads of projects, but writing my plans and noting how close to finishing I am on certain items has me confident that I can finish seven projects by the end of the year.

1 comment:

grandmastatus said...

This is what I need to do. Really pull out the WIPS and look at them and actually (gulp) frog or finish!