Knit Meter

Monday, January 22, 2024

Latest Happenings in the Yarn World

The problem with my knitting being year-long projects and a secret test knit is there is not much to show despite all that I am making. Today I am going to talk about a couple of things that happened in the yarn world this weekend. One sad and one disrespectful but both reflective of the yarn industry.

Let’s start with the sad news. Stranded Dyeworks has announced that he is closing the business. This is at the same time surprising and not surprising. Not surprising because I reckon that most dye businesses last about 10 years and they have been in business for 8 years and surprising because they are a single person and this is their livelihood. Coincidently, last week, before Stranded made this announcement, a friend was destashing yarn including four skeins of Stranded Dyeworks and I was tempted. But I am not buying yarn unless it will be used straight away. In this way I hope I can avoid the FOMO that will come when Stranded announce their last shop update. I wish Jude all the best in whatever his future holds.

The other thing I saw over the weekend also involved an independent dyer. They had been asked to enter a business relationship which they did not like so they declined. End of story. I’m afraid not. They posted about it on their website without naming names but with enough information to start people guessing with only one name coming up. The dyer, who is a business, has taken exception to the fact that the person who approached them has a monetized account. What? So she (the dyer) is allowed to make money but other people can’t? The dyer’s success is thanks to the internet and Ravelry. This goes back to my post in December where I said that picking on YouTubers is a popular hobby and this was a good example because the way she wrote it was obvious she thought that herself and other dyers were superior to people who use their products.

No comments: