Knit Meter

Thursday, April 4, 2024

An Extra Finish in March

 

I have said that I want to have fewer projects on the go this year. So when I started this project, I had to remind myself to finish another project and then come back to this.

As I have fewer projects I am working on, I have been keeping them under my side table. I thought it would be nice if I had a basket that I could put them in. All the ones I saw online were not very big and then I remembered that a YouTuber had crocheted some baskets. Off to check out patterns and gather yarn.

This is the pattern I chose. I started with four strands of Noro and the hook size recommended although I did change the hook size downwards twice and ended up using a 6.5mm hook. The base of the basket/bag could definitely do with being firmer. The premise of the pattern is to crochet a circle until it is the size you want then work upwards to create the basket/bag and then add handles. Mine came out to be more of a bag than a basket and next time I will use as small a hook as I can manage without ruining my hands. I used a lot of yarn in this project, most of it that I was given but some from my own leftovers. Mostly DK or worsted weight. If I used a thicker yarn I changed to three strands of yarn and if I used a thinner yarn I changed to five strands of yarn. All yarn was joined with a magic knot.

I worked in a circle until the base was the size I wanted, worked a round of single crochet through the back loop then worked up to created the depth of the basket. After completing the handles, I worked a round of crab stitch (reverse single crochet). Although it would have been nice to have a more sturdy item, overall I am very pleased with it and will likely make more.

I started it towards the end of January, while I was still working on the blanket. And as I only want one crochet project at a time, I made myself stop and work on the blanket and then come back to this. I also had a bit of a problem with one of the cats who thought it was her cat bed.


 

This is a great stash buster as overall I used in excess of 2000 metres of yarn.


 

No comments: