Knit Meter

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

WIPing Wednesday First One of March

The count for the past week is one item finished (the tea cosy shown yesterday) and two items cast on. I know it's not good to cast on more than I have finished but I do have an excuse. One of the cast on items is the car project. I finished the last car project in the middle of February and I decided it was about time to start a new one.

The other project I cast on was a scarf for charity. I have mentioned that the group on Ravelry for Operation Gratitude suggest patterns at the beginning of each month. This month was scarf patterns and I decided on the knit pattern - using yarn from stash of course. the pattern is knit lengthwise so there were 211 stitches to cast on. I decided to get the cast on over and done with so that I could work on the scarf whenever I wanted. it too longer to decide which cast on to use than to actually work it. Single crochet is worked all around the scarf so the look of the cast on didn't matter plus if it was a little loose the crochet would adjust for that but I didn't want anything too tight. The cable cast on was ruled out but I didn't want to work a long tail or any variation. With that number of stitches I was unlikely to get the right amount of yarn at the start and although I could work long tail with two ends of yarn this results in three ends having t be sewn in at the start, not a good idea for a scarf. I ended up with the knitted cast on and knit the first row. It did not come out really loose or with gaps between the stitches so we shall see how it looks once I get further into the pattern.

I frogged back the shawl as I said in last week's post and completed the third repeat of pattern D. I weighed the yarn and I should have enough to complete the border pattern E and the cast off.

Also I finished all the knitting for the toy which now needs to be stuffed and sewn up. Still no photos as it really is a yellow blob.

Looking at these WIPs, I'm not sure that I will have any completed items by next week. We shall see.

No comments: