Knit Meter

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

And Now For The Truth

And I don’t think it’s going to be pretty.

This year I have knitted 8169 meters and crocheted 507 meters in completed garments. This is a little more than last year. This does not include the mitred squares, this year I made three complete squares and am more than half-way through a fourth.

I frogged four projects, all of which were restarted and I undid two finished projects (with a third in progress) that I never wear but wanted to reclaim the yarn for something else. In addition to these items, I made one pair of socks (the first since 2016), one gnome, one charity hat, one pair of adult mitts, 15 baby or children items and 7 shawls or shawl type items. I started the year with five projects on the needles and have completed all but one of them.

Now for the shock – 8676 meters went out but how much yarn came in? As usual there will be plenty of justification but it is made worse by the high meterage yarn I was given at the end of the year; the 1682 meters I received in the gift exchange plus I was sent a huge skein of yarn that is 975 meters and as I haven’t finished my Advent that is 1989 meters waiting to be counted.

What made the big difference in my stash this year was a yarn store going out of business and having a fantastic sale. My friend and I went one day when everything was 70% off. After ringing us up, the owner told us what the total would have been before the discount – frightening. Although it would have been easy to purchase a lot of yarn because it was such a good deal, I restricted myself to yarn that I really could picture myself using. Having said this made a big difference to my yarn in, it also made a big difference to my future yarn buying as I bought very little on the San Diego Yarn Crawl and at Stitches SoCal.

Here’s the number – my total yarn in for the year was 18349 metres in 64 balls of yarn! Of that 4000 metres was gifts and 7500 metres (32 balls) was from the sale.

All I can add to that is to say thank you to my husband for another great year.

No comments: