Knit Meter

Saturday, September 28, 2024

An Extra Cast On

Remember the extra cast ons for an up coming trip and finishing a garment before the WIP Along start? Somehow that wasn’t enough to keep my hands occupied and I added in a crochet hat.

I’ve been crocheting the same hat pattern whenever I’ve been in the car and have ignored the monthly suggestions in the hat group. Until this month. The crochet hat caught my eye and I had yarn that would look great, so on the hook it went. (It is unwieldy to write about crochet in the same terms as knitting as there aren’t good equivalents for on the needles and cast on and cast off.)

The hat is a free pattern, but I did make some changes. Firstly in relation to my gauge I did not complete all the increases. Then the leaf pattern was not distributed evenly around the hat. I guess the designer increased to the number of stitches she thought was necessary and then just had extra stitches between the last and first leaf. I thought this was a bit odd and as I didn’t increase to the full number of stitches it was easy to add one extra stitch before the pattern.

Other crocheters said that the hat was a bit short and added extra rows. I was trying to guess how much length the leaves added so I worked two extra rows before the pattern but then needed just one row after instead of two.

I am happy with the outcome and have enough yarn to make another in the same colours, so this might be my new two-coloured hat.

 


 

No comments: