Knit Meter

Sunday, November 19, 2006

All Wound Up

or how many times does yarn have to be wound?

In the summer I wound two skeins of yarn into balls - one ball for each sock. I didn't get around to using them while on vacation so as the weather is ripe for knitted socks, out came the yarn. I couldn't find the yarn end in the centre of one of the balls, which is very strange considering I wound it myself, so while watching a movie last night, I unwound and rewound the ball. I unwound it round a chair and then just wound it again. It didn't take as long as I expected.

But - and this is a big but when I started winding I was holding the end in the palm of my hand but I wondered if I had overwrapped the beginning too much. Next time I have those doubts I will listen to them and start again because this morning when I went to cast on the yarn flowed freely at first and then stopped and when I pulled the yarn broke! So guess what I was doing this morning - unwinding and rewinding yarn. I don't know what I did last night as the break in the yarn was about 2/3rds through the ball so I must have got yarn caught up really oddly.

I haven't tried the new ball yet - we both have to relax first.

No comments: