Knit Meter

Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Walmart

In my last post, I mentioned going to the store to buy fabric. I now confess that the store was Walmart.

When I lived in the good ol' US of A, I boycotted Walmart. After all they treated their staff badly, didn't they? Although it wasn't that hard to not shop at Walmart when there were so many other options. Even if it was a massive PR campaign, Walmart looked better after Hurricane Katrina than the government.

Now I live in The Great White North where the shopping options are greatly reduced. Is it OK to shop at Walmart considering they shut down the only store that unionised? I do not think it is right to pick and choose. If it is OK to buy fabric at Walmart then it is OK to buy socks at Walmart. But am I heading down a slippery slope and I need to dig in my heels now before I justify that there is nothing wrong in shopping at Walmart?

Apparently economists on both sides of the political divide say that Walmart is good for the economy but I am not concerned about how they treat their suppliers. They are big enough to stand up for themselves. What is it like to work for Walmart? Apparently people want to work for Walmart so, surely, they cannot be as bad an employer as we would be led to believe. The trouble is, I don't think I will ever know the answer to that. For now I must decide for myself if Walmart is the type of company I want to do business with.

No comments: