Knit Meter

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Mighty Mitre

In an earlier post I mentioned "I Can't Believe I'm Quilting". I am working on the forth quilt from this publication.

The second project had straight borders, the third had borders with corner squares and this one has an inner border and an outer border with squares. The instructions in the book are for straight corners. So you add the side borders, which are the length of the quilt top and then add your top and bottom borders which are the length of the quilt top plus the side borders.

For this quilt I decided I wanted to mitre the corners on the inner border. I found the instructions in another book. I have learnt when sewing to pin and check before sewing and check after sewing and before trimming. Well I'm glad I did in this case as the instructions did not state that each border has to be pressed out of the way before sewing the next border. This is obvious to all you experienced mitreers out there but it was not clear in the beginner instructions I was following.

Anyway I mitred the corners without too much trouble and am fairly pleased with how they came out. OK they are not perfect where the border squares have been added but it's my first attempt so I'm only going to get better - I hope.

No comments: