Knit Meter

Friday, November 17, 2006

Horoscopes and Fundraising

No, my horoscope didn’t say that I would come into money. I am not one of those people who read their horoscope. Although I understand that there are people who read them daily and believe them. I wonder how they choose which one to read. Have they read one they like and then stuck with that publication. What happens if they do not like it on a particular day, do they continue reading horoscopes until they find one they like?

I tend to just look at the crossword in the paper, and it is on the same page as the horoscopes. Each day they pick a sentence from one of the horoscopes and highlight it at the top of the page just above the crossword so I cannot help but see it most days. The other day it was mine and read:-
You couldn't pick a better day to sign agreements, enter into partnerships or join forces with others

I decided it applied to the transaction I had carried out with the neighbour boy. He was fundraising for his hockey team, so I ordered some cookie dough from him.

Is there anyone, adult or child, who likes fundraising? It is good practise for children of all ages to go out and sell themselves and sometimes to have the door literally slammed in their face. They are working for and taking ownership in their organisation instead of watching their parents fork out the money. Some schools require the students to raise some of the funds for a school trip. The Boy Scouts of America has funds available so that scouting is available to all and I assume this is true throughout the world and in the Girl Guide/Girl Scout organisations.

So having said that no one likes fundraising, here I am giving examples of why it can be good. The boy next door was fund raising so that his team could go to a hockey tournament in Colorado. Is that something that they should be raising funds for or that the parents should pay for? As a one off it is OK, but I don’t think I would be happy to be asked to take part in a fundraiser every year to send the team to a hockey tournament.

Why did I buy the cookie dough? I like his mum, the cookie dough will get used, I was the first neighbour he had asked and I didn’t want the first person he asked to say no.

But I’ll tell you the best fund raising exercise from a giver’s point of view; when they collect bottles. The organisation gets the deposit money and it saves me a trip to the bottle depot. I’m saving my bottles if anyone wants to come over.

No comments: