Knit Meter

Friday, December 1, 2006

A Finished Object

Technically it was finished a month ago but I didn't have any buttons for it. For some reason it is hard to find decent buttons in this city. I had thought about toggles but when I couldn't find any I settled for these.

The yarn is Rosarios Tentacao Tweed a 100% wool yarn made in Portugal. I bought the yarn when using my birthday discount at one of the yarn stores. I had in mind to make a jacket but hadn't a pattern in mind. I checked out Sally Melville's Book3 - Color from the library and thought the Blanket Jacket was a good idea. Except I made changes to the design. The original pattern is in garter stitch; I worked in stocking stitch except for the edgings. I added points to the sleeves to match the points at back and front. A single crochet edging was added to the bottom edge and the neck edge. And I didn't add the fringing. I wasn't sure about how that would look. I am not overwhelmed with the finished result. The yarn is lovely and soft but I think I would have preferred the side seams longer and the points shorter but it is great to wear indoors.

Now for a little moan about the pattern. There were a number of mistakes in it. As I was adapting it that wasn't too much of a problem but it is not surprising that advanced beginners get frustrated with patterns and doubt their skills as they do not have enough knowledge to know that the pattern is at fault. Interestingly, I was looking at another blog yesterday and the writer was complaining about the errata in a Sally Melville pattern form the Purl Stitch book. Mistakes in patterns is a very common occurance in published books.

As I liked the yarn and had some left over I immediately cast on last night. I decided the yarn would be great for mittens. I am adapting a pattern worked from the cuff to the top to a pattern worked from the top down. I cast on with Judy’s Magic Cast-On and am using the magic loop method. This would be much easier if my cable wasn't all curled up but I was watching hockey so I didn't mind.

No comments: