Knit Meter

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Knitting Backwards

When you knit, the stitches are moved from the left needle to the right needle. The angle of the needle determines if the stitch is a knit or a purl. When all the stitches are on the right needle that needle is transferred to the left hand to start the procress again, this is often called "turning". Backwards knitting is when you move the needles from the right needle to the left needle.

Yesterday I decided that backwards knitting would work well for the band I was knitting. I had picked up 4 stitches at the neckline of a sweater which is completed apart from the band. Knitting 4 stitches turning the whole thing then purling 4 stitches and repeating the whole process seemed to be very unwieldy so I decided to knit backwards. This was actually quite easy. I couldn't do the crossword at the same time but I could watch hockey.

Did you note the line "completed apart from the band" you know what that means - reports on a finished object very shortly.

Watch this space.

No comments: